For 64 years coffee, tea and tobacco were produced
In 1923, Van Nelle’s progressive managing director Kees van der Leeuw commissioned the construction of an ingenious, cutting-edge factory complex that would incorporate a comprehensive range of employee facilities. The factory not only included showers, it also had to be built entirely above ground to let in light and air and create space.
Untill the year 1995 coffee, tea, and tobacco were produced here. After 64 years it all stopped.
In 1998, Sara Lee/DE endorsed the ambitious renovation plans of an enthusiastic group of developers. The building was adapted to the new preferences and demands of modern society so it could once again be used as a high-powered and dynamic hub, this time for creative professionals.